For clarity and ease of reference, any capitalized terms used in these terms and conditions shall be defined in the glossary. You may consult the glossary section of this agreement to find the detailed definitions of such terms.
Univext exists to help build connections between people and make the world more open and knowledgeable. In short—to build a world where anyone can learn from anywhere. We are a community built on trust. A fundamental part of earning that trust means being clear about how we use your information and protecting your human right to privacy.
Personal Information We Collect
Information needed to use the Univext Platform
We collect personal information about you when you use the Univext Platform. Without it, we may not be able to provide all services requested. This information includes:
- Contact Information, Account, Profile Information. Such as your first name, last name, email address, profile photo, some of which will depend on the features you use.
- Identity Verification and Payment Information. Such as images of your government issued ID (as permitted by applicable laws), your ID number or other verification information, bank account or payment account information. If you are not a Member, we may receive payment information relating to you, such as when an Univext user provides your payment card to complete a booking. If a copy of your ID is provided to us, we may scan, use, and store information contained in your ID to verify your identity.
Information you choose to give us
You can choose to provide us with additional personal information. This information may include:
Additional Profile Information. Such as bios, skills, job experience. Some of this information as indicated in your account settings is part of your public profile page and will be publicly visible.
Other Information. Such as when you fill in a form, add information to your account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team and other Members, or share your experience with us. This may include health information if you choose to share it with us.
Information Automatically Collected by Using the Univext Platform and our Payment Services
When you use the Univext Platform and Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information. This information may include:
Geo-location Information. Such as precise or approximate location determined from your IP address or mobile device’s GPS depending on your device settings. We may also collect this information when you’re not using the app if you enable this through your settings or device permissions.
Usage Information. Such as the pages or content you view, searches for Members, Bookings you have made, and other actions on the Univext Platform.
Log Data and Device Information. Such as details about how you’ve used the Univext Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Univext Platform. We may collect this information even if you haven’t created an Univext account or logged in.
Personal Information We Collect from Third Parties
We collect personal information from other sources, such as:
Third-Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to the Univext Platform with a third party service (e.g. Google, Facebook), you direct the service to send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information as controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
Background Information. For Members, and to the extent permitted by applicable laws, we may obtain reports of criminal records, sex offender registrations, and other information about you and/or your background. We may use your information, including your full name and country of residence to obtain such reports.
Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as references, demographic data, or information to help detect fraud and safety issues from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from identity verification service providers for use in our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Univext Platform, or about your experiences and interactions from our partners.
How We Use The Information We Collect
To Develop the Univext Platform
Such as to:
- enable you to access the Univext Platform and make and receive payments,
- enable you to communicate with other Members,
- process your request,
- perform analytics, debug and conduct research,
- provide customer service, training,
- send you messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
- if you provide us with your contacts’ information, such as your friends, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) to share your bookings details and facilitate bookings from other Members, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) to facilitate your requests or for any other purpose you authorize, personalize and customize your experience based on your interactions with the Univext Platform, your search and booking history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit.
To Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment
In order to:
- detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security and safety incidents, and other harmful activity,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- verify or authenticate information provided by you,
- conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks,
- comply with our legal obligations, protect the health and well-being of our Members and Univext employees,
- resolve disputes with our Members, including sharing information about you to resolve disputes related to your role as a Teacher or Student,
- enforce our agreements with third parties,
- comply with law, respond to legal requests, prevent harm, and protect our rights (see section 4.5),
- enforce our Terms and other policies, and
- in connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Univext Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to Univext, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes, which analyze your account and activities on the Univext platform as well as information in relation to activities on and off the Univext platform that can be associated with you, could restrict or suspend access to the Univext Platform if such processes detect activity that may pose a safety or other risk to Univext, our community, or third parties. If you would like to challenge decisions based on automated processes, please contact us via the Contact Information section below.
To Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing
For example to:
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information based on your preferences and social media advertising through social media platforms,
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
- administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Univext or its third-party partners,
- analyze characteristics and preferences to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that we think might be of interest to you, and
- invite you to events and relevant opportunities.
To Provide Payment services
Personal information is used to enable, or authorize third parties to use, Payment Services such as to:
- detect and prevent money laundering, fraud, abuse, and security incidents,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations),
- enforce the Payment Terms and other payment policies,
- with your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences, and,
- provide and improve Payment Services.
Sharing and Disclosure of Personal Information
Sharing With Your Consent or at Your Direction
Where you provide consent, we share your information as described at the time of consent, such as when authorizing a third-party application or website to access your Univext account or participating in promotional activities by Univext partners or third parties.
Where permissible under applicable law, we may use certain information about you, such as your email address, de-identify it, and share it with social media platforms, to generate leads, drive traffic to Univext, or otherwise promote our products and services.
Sharing Between Members
To help facilitate bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information such as:
When a booking request is made, or a dispute is submitted, certain information may be shared between Student(s) and Teacher(s), including profile, name, bookings history, dispute outcome (when applicable), and other information you choose to share and submit. When a booking is confirmed, additional information is shared to assist you, like profile photo and full name. When you as a Teacher have a booking confirmation, certain information is shared with the Teacher (and any additional Members they invite, if applicable) to coordinate the booking, such as your profile photo and full name.
Information You Publish in Profiles and other Public Information
You can make certain information publicly visible to others, such as:
Your public data, which includes your profile photo, first name, last name, bio, skills and job experience. As a Teacher that includes also information such as your calendar availability, and additional information you choose to share on your profile.
Content in a community or discussion forum, blog, or social media post. We may display parts of your public profile and other Content you make available to the public like Listing details on third-party sites, platforms, and apps.
Information you share publicly on the Univext Platform may be indexed through third-party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your account settings.
Complying with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protecting our Rights.
We may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement, governmental or public authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or where disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (i) comply with our legal obligations, (ii) comply with a valid legal request (such as a subpoena or court order) or to respond to claims asserted against Univext, (iii) respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation to address alleged or suspected illegal activity, or to respond to or address any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal or regulatory liability (more information on Univext’s Law Enforcement Guidelines here), (iv) enforce and administer our agreements with Members, including our Terms, Additional Legal Terms, and Policies, or (v) protect the rights, property or personal safety of Univext, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. For example, if permitted due to the foregoing circumstances, Host tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon or harm to Univext, our Members, or expose Univext to a claim of obstruction of justice.
Where legally required or permissible according to applicable law, we may disclose Teachers' information to tax authorities for the purpose of the tax authorities' determination of proper compliance with relevant tax obligations. Relevant tax obligations include Univext's tax obligations on its service fees, and Teachers' individual tax obligations. Information that may be disclosed includes, but is not limited to, Teachers and Students names, Teachers' addresses, tax/business identification number(s), date of birth, and/or contact information, property parcel identification numbers, payout information, transaction dates and amounts, number of bookings made, gross and net booking value and payout amounts, taxes collected by Univext on behalf of Students and Teachers, to the extent any of this information is known by Univext.
We share personal information with affiliated and unaffiliated service providers to help us run our business and for their compliance purposes, including service providers that help us: (i) verify your identity or authenticate your identification documents, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) conduct background or police checks, fraud prevention and risk assessment, (iv) perform product development, maintenance and debugging, (v) allow the provision of the Univext Services through third-party platforms and software tools (e.g. through the integration with our APIs), (vi) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services, or (vii) process, handle or assess insurance claims or similar claims. These providers are contractually bound to protect your personal information and have access to your personal information to perform these tasks.
Other Important Information
Analyzing your Communications
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Univext Platform for reasons outlined in the "How We Use Information We Collect" section of this policy, including fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, enforcing our Terms of Service, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other sites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. Occasionally we may need to manually review communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third-party marketing messages to you and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
Linking Third-Party Accounts
You can link your Univext account with certain third-party services like social networks. Your contacts on these third-party services are referred to as "Friends." When you direct the data sharing by creating this link:
- some of the information provided to us from linking accounts may be published on your public profile,
- your activities on the Univext Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Univext Platform and/or that third-party service,
- a link to your public profile on that third-party service may be included in your Univext public profile,
- other Univext users may be able to see any Friends that you may have in common with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable,
- other Univext users may be able to see any schools, hometowns, or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking service,
- information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed, and transmitted for fraud prevention and - risk assessment purposes, and
- publication and display of information that you provide to the Univext Platform through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Univext Platform and the third-party service.
Third-Party Partners & Integrations
You can exercise any of the rights described in this section consistent with applicable law. See here for information on data subject rights requests and how to submit a request. We may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request.
Managing Your Information
You can access and update some of your personal information through your Account settings. If you connected your Univext Account to a third-party service, like Facebook or Google, you can change your settings and unlink from that service in your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up to date.
Data Access and Portability
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request certain copies of your personal information or information about how we handle your personal information, request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format, and/or request that we transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
In some jurisdictions, you can request that your personal information be deleted. Please note that if you request deletion of your personal information, or if your account is suspended, terminated, or voluntarily closed:
We may retain your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as prevention of money laundering, fraud detection and prevention, and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an Univext Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain information from that Univext Account to prevent that Member from opening a new Univext Account in the future.
We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, Univext and Univext Payments may keep information for tax, legal reporting, and auditing obligations.
Information you have shared with others will continue to be publicly visible on Univext, even after your Univext Account is canceled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Some copies of your information (e.g., log records) will remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
Because we take measures to protect data from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
While no organization can guarantee perfect security, we are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration.